Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Healthy Hair + Healthy Body = Healthy Me




Two weeks ago, I set out on a healthy lifestyles journey. I have been on my natural hair journey since July 2009 and now I am committed to making changes in other areas of my life. I have proven to myself that I have the discipline to stick with my hair regimen and now the focus is on developing my nutritional health. My goal is to create better eating and exercise habits and lose 25 pounds along the way.

"Before you start an exercise and nutrition program, be sure to consult with your doctor and find a plan that works for you."

During the first week of my journey, I did the 3-day Catalyst Cleanse. I wanted to recharge my system and start with a clean slate. For three days, I only had six, 16 oz bottles of a fruit & veggie blended juice. The cleanse allowed for as much water & decaf tea that I wanted. I documented my days and talked about the juice. The juices were numbered from 1 to 6. Two of the juices were the same blend (No. 1 & No. 5). Unfortunately, these were my least favorite. So I skipped out on number five each day. As a result of the cleanse, I lost 2 lbs. on the first day. It was a little scary and exciting to drop 2 lbs in one day. Ultimately, I lost a total of 3 lbs 9 oz during the fast.

"Find resources to help measure your progress and keep you on track."

After the Catalyst Cleanse, I decided to clean up my diet and exercise plan. Easing back into solids, I started eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. I also started drinking more water and getting more exercise. I also installed a food tracker app to help me journal my daily food & exercise intake. The MyFitnessPal app is a free tool that can be downloaded for mobile devices or accessed via the web site.

"Document! Document! Document!"

The second week was very productive because I created a regimen designed to help me reach my goal. The MyFitnesPal app took some time for me to become familiar, but now I use it multiple times daily. I also managed to squeeze in four classes at the gym. My plan going forward is to take three to five classes per week. 


I am dedicated to using the same patience and commitment I used during my hair journey to reach my Healthy Me. Let me know what you are doing in 2012 to be a Happier and Healthier You.


For more information about the Catalyst Cleanse, Visit: www.catalystcleanse.com
For more information about MyFitnessPal, visit: www.mfitnesspal.com

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love MFP! It's so easy to use and if you make some friends on there, everyone is very motivational.

    ReplyDelete