Sunday, June 12, 2011

What I've Learned Transitioning from Relaxed to Natural Hair


My journey began early in the Fall of 2009. I had my last perm in July and noticed that the top of my hair was starting to thin. I would professionally relax 3-4 times a year, but was still experiencing breakage that kept my hair slightly below my shoulders and now thinning on the top. I was not mentally ready to face a big chop so, I decided to long-term transition. I knew nothing about the level of moisture natural hair needed and detangling the two textures I was dealing with. By the ninth month, I had really bad breakage that was partially (95%) my fault. I hated washing my hair because I would get huge knotted clumps right at the part where the natural hair met the permed hair. Not knowing the value of a good detangler and a gentle hand, I ripped the knots and my hair out of my head. I ended up with a chop by default because the middle of hair had broken off to about 3 inches (flat ironed) long.

At the end of September 2010, I started doing no-heat styles and this was one of my not so great twist outs. Look at the spaces and heat damaged top. Ugh!


After the major breakage, I was still having progress and set backs because I had not developed a regimen and didn’t know what worked on my hair. So, I started watching Natural Hair Care videos on YouTube in the fall of 2010 and learned a lot about my hair. The ladies on these YouTube channels were very resourceful and informative. I am very thankful for all of the tips and information that helped me persevere through my mistakes and setbacks during my journey. They encouraged me to try new products – I admit that I was a product junkie for a minute, but it helped me to learn my hair. I bought books, test strips, researched ingredients and tried countless styles. I was starting to develop a new love for my hair.

What a difference time, patience and education makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment